Event 2

This past Thursday I was fortunate enough to attend the Elí Joteva opening. Elís art was truly fascinating because it was unique and nothing I would have ever expected. As I walked into the dark room below was a very large projection of a red sphere which almost looked like a planet. To the left was a projection of another sphere but this one was blue. I cannot exactly remember how she created these images but she mentioned it was an ice sphere that was surrounded by brain waves or memory waves of some sort.  She must have explained it to me multiple times but it was beyond my comprehension. 


In the other section of the room she had a display of some of her projects. These were especially fascinating because you can use all your senses to experience the art. There were about three spheres of leaves, herds, flowers, all frozen together hanging from a rope. I would assume they were hung up sometime during the day because they were only about half way melted and the and you can smell the herbs and flowers as they defrosted from the ice. Theres spheres looked like planets and when you smelled them they had an earthy scent. Elí explains how they represent chaos as the process is a release of energy, as the temperature gets higher the ice melts and thats when chaos appears. You can also say that is represents climate change and how humans have harmed the planet.


I really enjoyed the opening, Elí is extremely creative and her art really challenges you to open up your mind and question the art itself. I still don't exactly understand her perspective of her creations but I was able to look at these spheres and explore theories of my own which opened up my creative side of my mind.  

Comments

  1. i like the way you explain what you saw as you walked in or a first impression so to say of the exhibit. You grabbed my attention of this event and its connections to real world issues and if I get the oppurtunity I will have to check it out. This event seems very different than the others I've been to and more on the abstract side which intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you went into depth about how much the art moved you! I had a similar experience. I thought it was beyond my comprehension as well, because it was so wonderful to witness. I didn't realize the parallels until she explained them to me but once I heard what she had to say about her art, I was so extremely moved.

    Sanam javid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Math & Art

Week 4 Medicine+Art