Week 1 Blog post

After reading both, "Two Cultures and Scientific Revolution", and "Third Culture: Being in between" I was really able to reflect on college career. I came into UCLA with the aspiration of pursuing a civil engineer major, my father was a civil engineer so I thought why not. However being a student-athlete I was limited to the types of classes I could take because of my busy athletic schedule, so I needed to switch to something more manageable. History was the most interesting in high school so I decided to try it out. After taking courses South Campus and suddenly switching to North Campus, I was shocked to see the wide gap between the two sides of UCLA. Since I switched majors I have only stepped foot on South campus a few times.
With technology advancing at an increasingly fast rate I can see how the third culture has come into play. I would have to respectfully disagree with Brockman's idea of the two cultures staying spirit from one another. If would look at many of these tech companies they would not exist without the two cultures coming together. For example companies like apple would not be what it is today if it were just technologically based. They have specialized teams within the company that work and operate as a unit to make the most out of their company.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web.
Panzarino, Matthew. "Apple Pushes the Reset Button on the Mac Pro." TechCrunch. TechCrunch, 04 Apr. 2017. Web. 10 Apr. 2017.

Comments

  1. Oliver - I liked how you used your personal experiences and how being a student athlete has impacted the classes you have taken... I can relate to this. After taking some south campus classes I can also see the wide gap between those and North campus classes. Very good commentary.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Medicine+Art

Week 2 Math & Art

Event 2