Event Blog 1

Last Tuesday, April 18th myself and a couple friends attended Linda Weintraubs lecture. As soon as we entered the lecture space we were greeted by a table with chips, water bottles and a delicious bowls of guacamole and salsa. The space to the left was set up as an art gallery with some of her projects put on display for people to walk around and look at. The piece that stood out to me the most was what look like a ceramic eyes, nose and lips connected together with strings having down from the ceiling. and behind it was a drawing of a face placed against the wall behind the ceramic pieces.


In Lisas lecture she talked about Eco-Art, and how art can translate into helping the environment. I can relate to this on a personal level as I was raised by my father who is an artist and considers himself an environmentalist. My father has always taught me to respect the environment and especially the ocean. Because marine life has such an influence on his art, he has donated a number of his paintings to an organization called "Heal the Bay" who auctions them off to help the cause. Here is one of the painting below.


After attending this lecture and hearing Linda speak, it really made me think about how art can be used to help and create awareness for environmental concerns. Overall it was great lecture and I strongly recommend my fellow classmates to check it out, or at least visit her website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Medicine+Art

Week 2 Math & Art

Event 2